04 April 2008

Review: One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies


One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies is a fantastic read.
It is a story about a young girl named Ruby Milliken who's mother has just died. She reluctantly leaves everything behind- her best friend, boyfriend, and aunt to move to L.A. to live with her father. Who by the way, is a famous movie star. He left Ruby's mother before she was born.
Now, the book cover shown here is a little odd to me. It totally doesn't go with the title. She's smiling. It is a little odd to me, that they would put a girl smiling on the cover of this book. Does it go with the title? Not really.
Other than that, It is great. It's a fast read that I think anyone can enjoy. If you have read Rachel Cohn or Sarah Dessen you will enjoy this most likely. Unless your a homophobic person, then maybe it isn't for you. YES, this book deals with homosexuality. So if your uncomfortable about it, I wouldn't recommend it or really anything to you. A lot of fantastic fiction deals with it. I mean, take a look at The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
Anyways, this book is now in paperback. I know how a lot of people don't like buying hard covers because there more expensive. I like hardcover more though because they last longer.
Later this weekend I'll be posting the author of the month, so stay tuned for more!

No comments: