28 January 2008

Review: Spud


Spud is a hilarious coming of age novel about John ‘spud’ milton.
It is set in 1990 and Nelson Mandela just got released from prison. This makes his dad quite shaky and go completely bonkers. Spud’s family is already dysfunctional enough thanks to Wombat, his grandmother who goes on rants. One thing going great for Spud is that he got a scholarship to an elite boarding school.

Equipped with his diary, 13 yr. Spud is ready to take on his first year at boarding school in South Africa. Spud and his friends are later known as the “Crazy Eight” for their ventures throught school. Spud takes you on a ride you will never forget.


Spud was an absolute delight to read! I was laughing so hard throughout the book I could hardly put it down. John Van De Ruit wrote it with such wit and charm. All the characters brought so much to the story. I felt like I was one of the gang. I’m already aching for Van De Ruit to finsih writing the sequal! I already miss these characters. I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good laugh. It’d be hard to enjoy it without a good sense of humor. If you enjoyed The perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky I also recommend this.

1 comment:

NutJob said...

Your blog is actually really cool and helpful, thx. I am adding you to blogs peepz should check.

Comment me if you need book suggestions. I am kinda a book freak.